Tuesday 21 June 2011

"Feeling rich"

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.  - Ralph Waldo Emerson
 
 Today I attended a seminar in a 5-star hotel..I arrived there quite early on my own, so I had some sandwiches and a cup of coffee. My dad has a phrase which he uses quite often with my little brother - "feeling rich". Ryan often says things like "Let's go have dinner at an expensive restaurant!" or "Why aren't we staying in a 5-star hotel?" or something to that effect. And my dad always reacts in the same way - "Wah you really 'feeling rich' ah!" Its not that we are desperately poor, but we lead really simple lives, and we were never brought up to take 5-star hotels for granted. 
So while I was sitting there having my cup of coffee, I thought to myself.."I'm really 'feeling rich'!" I mean, I could just sit there in my professional-looking outfit and the world wouldn't think I looked out of place in that hotel! While my life is actually farrrr from that sort of atmosphere. This is one of the reasons why I love my job(not the only reason of course!) - I get a glimpse of another world which most people want to be a part of and appreciate it, but at the same time I don't envy that sort of life, because I love my own. 
I also thought of my babies in Bali, and how nice if I could bring them to a 5-star hotel to stay for a night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment